Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Birth of Elora

I wish I could have recorded the entire day, and just have you watch the whole thing.  I hope I can recap the blessed day!  

First I will rewind to the day before.

Tuesday, February 28

We had a doctor's appointment that morning, I was kind of contracting but nothing to make too big of a ruckus over.  Our doctor checked to see if I was dilated, and I was... to a one.  No change from the last appointment.  So we made another appointment for the following Monday, and went about the rest of our day. 

That night I started to contract more often, and they became rather uncomfortable.  After about 2 hours of five minute intervals, Matt and I decided we'd go into the hospital to have me checked, because there was NO WAY I was sleeping through these da-gone things.   They checked us in, I was still dilated to a one.  No change.  Argh..  All these contractions and no change...  ouch!  So after a couple of hours they sent us home.  I didn't sleep at all, and now it's Wednesday morning.
The night before I delivered.  They sent us home 3 hours later.





Wednesday, February 29, Leap Day

We had another doctor's appointment today at 2:45 to see if, after all day and night contracting, I was any more dilated.  I was dying at this point.  I'm thinking, there better be some progress when we go in there, or I want these things to STOP!  Either dilate or stop that was my take on things!  Of course when he checks me... nothing, no change.  That was NOT what I wanted to hear.  He told me to try and get some rest and if we wanted to schedule to be induced in two days, Friday, then we could.  I originally did not want to be induced, but after 24 hours of having contractions I decided if these continue till Friday, then we are doing it.  So we signed up to be induced Friday; crossing our fingers she would decide to come before.   It was now 4:15.

We go home, and I try to sleep.  Ya right.  I lay in bed for and hour and a half.  Laying there!  

Then... 

My water breaks at 5:45 pm.  YES!  I come running out of our bedroom...  MATT, my water broke!  Lets go to the hospital!!  So we did just that, headed for the hospital.  They checked us in, I'm dilated to a 4.  They gave me an IV, some pain medicine,  then later an epidural...  that didn't work.  Ouch!  Michelle, Matt's mom, came to be with us, and Kelly, his sis.   Then I Skyped my family!
Just before the epidural.
The epidural that didn't work.
Me Skyping with my family.  Katie bringing everyone food.
The lights are turned down, and I am told to rest, it'll be a long night.  YA RIGHT!

After I got the epidural the nurse turned down the lights and told me to get some rest, that first babies take a long time and she is sure I'll be here at least until morning.  About a half hour later I told her she better check me again, I feel like this baby is coming out!  She checked me and I am now dilated to an 8!  Lets get the show on the road!  She started setting up for delivery and before you know it I was a 10 and I'm pushing!  Our doctor was not on call, so Dr. Goff delivered our baby girl.  We really liked her, and we were both so very thankful for her!  I pushed for less than thirty minutes and baby Elora was born at 11:20.  Head first, then body.  She had so much hair and her cry was loud for all to hear!  We first arrived at 6 pm and Elora was born 5 1/2 hours later.  First babies take a long time huh... not for me!  Sucka!!!   (sorry everyone) ;)
Getting ready to push!
Elora arrives at 11:20 pm.  Her dad and I are so excited to meet her!
She came out wailing!  Good job baby Elora!
We love her so much!


Our little girl.
Notes on the events that happened.
Dr. Goff, the doctor who was on call and delivered our little girl!

She weighed 6 lb 1 oz.  And was 20 1/4 inches long.
What a day!  Thank you Heavenly Father for giving us this baby girl!  And allowing things to go so well!

Now on to postpartum.



No comments:

Post a Comment